Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Paratrooper's Prayer

(Found by a French general in the pocket of a soldier killed in action at Dien-Bien-Phu, Vietnam)

Our Lord Scourged

Give me, O Lord my God,
what is left Thee, that which no one asks of Thee.
I do not ask Thee for rest or tranquility,
either of soul or body.

I do not ask Thee for riches,
for success, or for health.
So many ask Thee for these, my God,
that none must be left Thee.

Give me, Lord,
what is left Thee.
Give me what the others refuse.

I want risk and anguish;
I want fight and pain.
Give me these, my God,
once and for all.

Give me the certainty that these
will always be my portion, for I will not
always have the courage to ask them of Thee.

Give me, O Lord,
what is left Thee.
Give me what others do not want.

But also give me courage,
strength, and Faith.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment